The Guinea Pig Guide is a cutely comprehensive, illustrated resource for guinea pig lovers! Everything you see on this website is designed, written and illustrated by me, Lesley DeSantis,
crazy guinea pig lady er…experienced guinea pig owner and guinea pig artist. 😉
In addition to finding guinea pigs swoon-worthily cute and wanting to paint them all the time, I’ve also noticed something — guinea pig owners and soon-to-be owners have a lot of questions about guinea pig care and often get home from the shelter or pet store feeling unprepared and overwhelmed.
A pamphlet at the vet’s office, a care packet from a shelter or a one-sheet outline from a pet store leaves piggie owners searching for answers, often too late in a panic when their guinea pig is sick.
It’s sad to think of all of the guinea pigs suffering out there due to something as simple as lack of knowledge, but that also means there’s hope! Knowledge is power, and that’s where The Guinea Pig Guide comes in!
It’s my hope that this website and accompanying book will help not only spread awareness for how wonderful guinea pig companionship can be, but help to give guinea pigs happier, healthier lives and to help their owners to be able to make that happen without feeling overwhelmed. And of course, I think this should be fun! So I have made everything as organized, easy to read and fun to look at as possible, for both children and adults.
We’ve just launched, so things may seem a bit sparse at first, but over time, you’ll find all sorts of guinea pig information here, like:
- guinea pig care tips
- guinea pig breed profiles
- information about what guinea pigs can and can’t eat
- guinea pig grooming tips
- preventive medical care
- super cute guinea pig pictures (or “pigtures”), and more!
If you find some of the articles on this site useful, please share them with your friends, classmates, children, teachers, and maybe even that person gazing in at a “big hamster” at the pet store. You never know how far your positive impact may spread! 🙂
Write for The Guinea Pig Guide
Do you have a guinea pig care topic you’re an expert on or something that you think Guinea Pig Guide readers would love to hear about? You can submit article proposals to firstname.lastname@example.org. Simply send an email with an overview of your topic (you can send a full article once you get the go-ahead!). I’m not going to be able to approve all submissions that come in, but to improve your chances of a response and consideration for the blog, please keep the following guidelines in mind:
- Posts must be on topic, relating strictly to things that will interest the guinea pig community and its vertical markets. For example, an article on timothy hay is great. An article on eco-friendly chimney installation or affordable prescription medicines isn’t.
- Once your proposal gets the thumbs up, be sure that your article is well written in a friendly, engaging tone. I don’t hold any restrictions on length because I think a great piece of writing is a great piece of writing and can’t be confined to word counts. But if it’s boring or poorly written or requires extensive editing, it unfortunately won’t be accepted.
- I’d absolutely love to link back to you in any way you’d like! But if your business or website has absolutely nothing to do with the topic you’ve written about or The Guinea Pig Guide (if you are a dog walker who has a soft spot for piggies – perfect! If you sell cell phone ringtones and hired a stranger to write a guinea pig article for you, not okay), I can’t support that as my savvy readers can smell spam a mile away (they’re smart cookies!). As someone who has, in the past, directly worked with hired freelance writers for guest posting as part of corporate SEO strategies getting articles placed in obscure industries for the sake of links…I know how this goes and I don’t condone it on this wonderful website.
- Gentle, friendly guidance always wins over finger-pointing or preaching about piggie care. Any articles that feel condescending or judgmental will be deleted.